Visitors to the United States: Checking Your US Travel History

Visitors to the United States from abroad may access a brief history of their arrivals and departures to and from the US.

What if I need a history of my US travel?

You may access five years of your own United States arrival and departure history for personal reference and assistance, but it may not be used as an official record for any legal or other official purpose. Please note that certain types of travel-related information may not be listed.

First Sample US Travel History
Second Sample US Travel History

What information can I retrieve?

The United States Department of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) maintains records of arrival and departure. You may access five years of travel history to the United States, including dates of arrival and departure and ports of entry and exit, via the I-94 website, by entering your passport number.

The following information may be omitted from the available travel history:

  • Arrivals and departures via land borders
  • Arrivals and departures via closed-loop cruise
  • Updates regarding air travel reservations
  • Updates, status changes, or extensions of travel dates from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Travel by U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents

What can I do about missing travel information?

There is no action to be taken regarding incomplete travel history. Customs and Border Protection obtains travel information from many sources. Such information is not to be used as a legal or official record of lawful admission; rather, it is for personal use for the user’s convenience.

Can I access records of travel related to older or expired passports?

Yes, you can access travel history for the past five years, as long as you can provide the passport number.

What do I need to access my US travel history?

In order to view your travel history, you will need to provide the following information, which must be entered exactly as it appears on your travel document being used to enter the U.S.A.:

  • Passport Number
  • Passport Issuing Country
  • Surname
  • Given Name
  • Date of Birth

How do I make sure my records are accurate, if I enter the US by air and depart by land?

If you plan to depart the country by land, and you have a paper copy of your I-94, you can submit the form to the Canadian Border Services Agency as you enter Canada, or to Customs and Border Patrol at the border prior to entry to Mexico. If you entered the United States by air, and received an electronic form I-94, your departure by land may not be recorded accurately, unless you re-enter the U.S. before the date of expiration on your passport stamp.

Residents of Canada or Mexico holding an electronic version of form I-94, who depart by land and do not plan to re-enter the U.S. before their passport stamp expires, should carry evidence of their re-entry into Canada or Mexico during their travels. Such evidence may include, among others:

  • Transportation tickets
  • Receipts
  • Passport entry stamps
  • Pay stubs

Travelers to Canada may request an entry stamp from the Canadian Border Services Agency, while those traveling to Mexico may request the stamp from the Instituto Nacional de Migracion (INM).



This website is operated by a private company, not affiliated with the United States Government.